Professor of Mathematics (emeritus)
Research Interests: Control theory,
differential equations in linear spaces.
Licenciado en Matematica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1960.
Ph. D., New York University, Courant Institute of Mathematical
About half a century ago, the Russian mathematician L. S. Pontryagin formulated
completely for the first time the fundamental problem of the calculus of variations
and solved it with PontryaginŐs Maximum Principle. This result unified calculus of
variations and control theory of ordinary differential equations. I have been working
for many years on infinite dimensional generalizations of the maximum principle. The aim
is the control theory of partial differential equations, a subject of much theoretical and
I have worked for many years in the incorporation of technology to teaching, first using
the classical computing languages (Fortran, Pascal, C), then using computer algebra
systems (Mathematica, Maple, Matlab), e-mail and the Internet. For details see below.
The interview is a shorter version of the teaching statement.
I am presently involved in an e-textbook project together with faculty members of
several Math Departments.
For details see The Live Books Project.
1. H. O. Fattorini, The Cauchy Problem, Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its
Applications vol. 18, Addison-Wesley 1983.
2. H. O. Fattorini Second Order Linear Differential Equations in Banach Spaces,
Notas de Matem‡tica vol. 99, Elsevier - North Holland 1985.
3. H. O. Fattorini, Infinite Dimensional Optimization and Control Theory,
Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications vol. 62, Cambridge University
4. H. O. Fattorini, Infinite Dimensional Optimization and Control Theory (reprint
edition of 3), Beijing World Publishing Company, Beijing, 2001.
5. H. O. Fattorini, Infinite Dimensional Linear Control Systems; the Time Optimal
and Norm Optimal Problems, North-Holland Mathematical Studies vol. 201,
Elsevier, Amsterdam 2005.
1. H. O. Fattorini, Sufficiency of the maximum principle for time optimality,
Cubo: A Mathematical Journal 7 (2005) 27-37.
2. H. O. Fattorini, Smoothness of the costate and the target in the time and
norm optimal problems, Optimization 55 (2006) 19-36.
3. H. O. Fattorini, Linear Control Systems in Sequence Spaces, Functional
Analysis and Evolution Equations: The Gunter Lumer Volume (2007) 273-290.
4. H. O. Fattorini, Regular and strongly regular time and norm optimal
controls, Cubo: A Mathematical Journal 10 (2008) 77-92.
5. Time and norm optimality of weakly singular controls, Progress in Nonlinear
Differential Equations and Their Applications 80 Springer Basel AG (2011)
6. Strong regularity of time and norm optimal controls, Dynamics of Continuous,
Discrete and Impulsive Systems Series B: Applications and Algorithms 18 (2011)
7. Time and norm optimal controls: A survey of recent results and open
problems, Acta Matematica Scientia 31B (2011) 2203-2218. reprint
8. Splicing of time optimal controls, Dynamic Systems and Applications 21
(2012) 169-186. reprint