UCLA Mathnet Login

Undergraduate FAQ

These FAQs are designed to answer commonly asked questions for the Undergraduate Mathematics program. If you are unable to find the answer to your question here, please contact us at ugrad [at] math [dot] ucla [dot] edu.

Click the questions to see the answers.

Question: If I took the AP Calculus (AB or BC) exam, what mathematics course should I start with at UCLA?

Please see our website on AP Calculus Credit.

Question: What calculator is required for my math class?

Unlike most high schools, the Mathematics Department does not require that you purchase a specific calculator. Most of our calculus courses make use of a scientific calculator. If you currently have a graphing calculator, you may use this; if you do not own a graphing calculator, you do not have to purchase one.

Question: How and when may I drop a course?

For non-impacted (i.e. math) courses only:

By Friday of Second Week:

  • Logon to MyUCLA.
  • No fee, no transcript notation.

By Friday of Fourth Week:

  • Logon to MyUCLA.
  • $5 fee, no transcript notation.

By Friday of Tenth Week:

  • Have your professor sign the form from L&S Counseling in A-316 Murphy Hall.
  • $50 fee, transcript notation.

Warning: If you are on financial aid and plan to drop a course, it is important that you first go to the Financial Aid Office to find out the consequences of having fewer than twelve units. Impacted courses have different criteria for dropping. Please check with the college regarding this criteria.

Question: Can I take a "Prep for the Major" or "Major" course pass/not pass?

No. All courses that are required for the major, minor, or Specialization in Computing must be taken for a letter grade.

Question: Where may I petition to change my major?

All change of major petitioning is in MS 6356.

Question: How do I add the Specialization in Computing?

Once you complete PIC 10B, stop by MS 6356 to declare the PIC Specialization. Students cannot be Math of Computation and have a PIC Specialization.

Question: When should I get a degree check?

It is recommended that you do a degree/graduation check the quarter before you graduate.

Question: How may I find out my grade in a course?

Logon to  your my.ucla.edu page.

Question: Can I take courses for my major at another school?

Yes. If you would like to complete some "Preparation for the Major" or "Major" courses during the summer at a community college, four-year university, or at another UC campus, you may do so. However, you must verify course equivalencies with a math counselor prior to completing the courses.

Upon completion of the course, have an official transcript sent to UCLA Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools, 1147 Murphy Hall. You must also fill out a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form in order to have the course evaluated and credited to your record.

Question: Will the grade for a course taken at another institution transfer to UCLA?

Only grades from other UC campuses will be factored into your UCLA GPA.

Question: Mathematics Repeat Policy

UCLA policy states that students may repeat up to 16 units of GRADED coursework in which they receive a grade of "C-" or below (http://www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/counseling/repeat.html).  However, there are RESTRICTIONS to this policy:  

  • You may repeat the same course only once.
  • You may receive units for a repeated course only once.
  • You will not receive credit for a course repeated after you have completed a more advanced course in a true sequence with a passing grade (i.e., Math, Chemistry, or foreign languages).

Mathematics courses are heavily sequenced at UCLA where students cannot go backwards to change or earn a grade once they moved forward.  For example, Math 31A is a prerequisite for Math 32A.  If a student receives any kind of a grade in Math 32A, he/she will not be able to take Math 31A, therefore possibly eliminating any chances of majoring in any discipline that requires the calculus sequence.