Mathematics 31B - Spring 2009
Integration and Infinite Series
- Time and place: MWF at 10 in MS 4000A
- Instructor: Thomas M. Liggett
- Office hours: M 1:30-2:30 and WF 11-12 in MS 7919 (except for April 24 and 27)
- Teaching Assistants (office hours): Ngoc Le (Tu 12-1 in MS3949 and M 12-1 in SMC), Marcello Magno (Th 9-10 in MS2961) and Selim Bahadir (W 1:30-2:30 in MS3905 and M 2-3 in SMC)
- Covel tutor: Seiji Naganuma (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- AAP tutor: Sirian Wang. Tutoring sign-ups are held in 1101 Campbell Hall during the first 3 weeks of the quarter. We recommend that students sign up for tutoring as early in the quarter as possible. For questions regarding AAP eligibility, students should contact Adriana Delia, 1209 Campbell Hall.
- Student Math Center: M-Th 9-3. You can get help at the SMC from any TA working there -- it need not be your own TA.
- Text: Single Variable Calculus by Jon Rogawski
- Prerequisite: Grade C- or higher in Mathematics 31A
- For more information: See Handout
- Exams: There will be two midterms and a final exam.
You should bring
picture ID to all exams.
- There are no makeup exams.
- Calculators will not be permitted on exams.
- Both MIDTERM EXAMS will be in LaKretz 110.
- The First midterm will be on Friday, April 17, and will cover sections
7.1-7.4,7.7,7.8. On the midterm, you will be asked to prove one of the
following: Theorem 2 on page 354 (here I mean the version of the proof that I gave
in class -- not the full proof in the Appendix, or the "conceptual insight" at the
top of page 355), Theorem 1 on page 368, and Theorem 1 on page 385 (the
version proved on page 389).
S. Naganuma will hold a review session Thursday 4/16 5-6 in the Northridge room
in Covel Commons. I will hold a review session the same day at 3pm in Haines 220.
Solutions to first midterm
- We will only cover parts of Sections 8.3,8.4,8.5: For 8.3, pages 430-432,
for 8.4, pages 438-439, and for 8.5, pages 446-449.
- The Second midterm will be on Friday, May 15, and will cover
On the exam, you will be asked to prove one of the following: (a) the integration
by parts formula on page 424, (b) Theorem 1 on page 458, and (c) Theorem 3 on page 539.
I will give you the following formulas on the test: (a) the error bound for Simpson's
rule on page 419 (you only need to know Simpson's rule in that section, not the other
numerical integration rules), (b) the reduction formulas at the top of page 431, (c) the
arc length and surface area formulas in Section 9.1, and (d) the error bound at the
bottom of page 496. I will have a review in Haines A2 on Wednesday, May 13 4-5pm.
Solutions to second midterm
- The Final exam will be on Sunday, June 7 at 11:30 in WG Young CS50.
The final exam will cover the entire quarter:
the sections covered on the two midterms + sections 11.2-11.7. For the final
exam, you will be asked to prove two of (a) Theorem 1 on page 549, (b) Theorem 2 on
page 550, (c) Theorem 2 on page 557, (d) Theorem 4 on page 559, and (e) Theorem 1
on page 566.
Solutions to final exam.
Notes: 1. The dates below are those on which the assignments are made.
They will not be turned in or graded. See the handout for more information,
especially about the quizzes that will be graded instead.
2. There are many more problems in this text than
I can assign. A good idea is to do a few (as many
as you have time for) unassigned problems as well. This is
particularly useful for the odd numbered problems, since there
are answers in the back that you can check your work against.
3. I will use the MyUCLA Gradebook program for this course.
For quizzes, you will see "unknown" in the
date due column.
- March 30: Page 348 #7,11,27,37,45,53,61,65,71,79.
- April 1: Page 356 #3,13,17,19,25,33,37,41,43.
- April 3: Page 364 #9,17,35,49,59,63,71,77,91.
- April 6: Page 371 #5,11,17,19,23,26.
- April 8: Page 390 #5,15,23,29,39,47,57,67,71.
- April 10: Page 397 #9,15,17,23,35,45,51,53,61,65,75.
- April 13: Page 421 #5,13,17,19,25,27.
- April 15: Page 422 #31,39,41,47,55.
- April 20: Page 428 #9,13,17,25,33,41,49,51,63,77.
- April 22: Page 436 #3,11,21,27,47; page 443 #5,13,29,53,55.
- April 24: Page 454 #7,13,17,27,35,47,69.
- April 27: Page 464 #5,9,21,25,31,45,55,59,63.
- April 29: Page 475 #5,15,17,21,29,35,51.
- May 1: Page 499 #3,5,11,17,19,21,25.
- May 4: Page 500 #29,35,39,45,49,53.
- May 6: Page 543 #5,9,11,15,21,27,29,33.
- May 8: Page 544 #35,37,51,53,65,71,73,79,81.
- May 11: Page 553 #3,5,9,11,15,17,21,25.
- May 13: Page 554 #31,33,35,37,39,41,47.
- May 18: Page 563 #5,13,17,21,27,33,37,41,45,61,67,73,75.
- May 20: Page 570 #1,7,13,17,21,23,29,30,31.
- May 22: Page 574 #3,5,11,13,19,21,25,29,37,45,51.
- May 27: Page 585 #3,5,11,15,19,25,33,35.
- May 29: Page 586 #37,43,45,47,51,53.
- June 1: Page 597 #3,7,11,19,21,27,29,35.
- June 3: Page 597 #41,43,45,53,55,71,73.