Putnam rules for UCLA
- The competition is only open to regularly enrolled undergrad
students who have not yet received their bachelor's degree. No student
may participate more than 4 times. The results will be emailed, and
all grades are final.
- The Putnam is in two sessions, Session A 08:00-11:00, and Session B
13:00-16:00. You will get two PINs, one for Session A and one for Session B.
- Pencils, erasers, pens with blue and black ink are permitted.
- The identification form must be filled with a number 2
pencil. Remember to fill in both sides of the identification
form. Complete the identification form at the beginning of Session A,
leaving the Session B PIN blank (which should be filled at the
beginning of Session B). If you participate in only one session, leave
the section for the other session blank.
- Books, calculators, rulers, compasses, computers are not permitted
in the exam room.
- Cellphones, smart watches, etc, must be switched off and stowed
away for the duration of the exam. (Since not all rooms at UCLA have
clocks, consider wearing a non-electronic wristwatch to keep track of
- The proctor will not provide any clarification in the exam. You
must work independently during the exam.
- Justify the solutions to each problem. When working on a problem,
do not refer to your work on a different problem.
- You may use the restroom at any time, but do not take anything
outside the room. Leave your exam, and your belongings in the room
when you go to the restroom.
- For both sessions, do not open the envelope until instructed. You
must fill in the required information on the outside of the envelope
before each session (before opening the envelope); also read the
'Instructions to Participants' there.
- Extra white sheets are available, which you may use for
scratchwork or extra solution sheets.
- All work has to be done on the individual problem booklets or on
the extra sheets. Place your solutions in the order of the problem
numbers inside your envelope. If you submit extra sheets, make certain
to write your PIN (for that session) and problem number, and put them
inside the booklet for that problem.
- Do not include scratch paper or blank booklets in the envelope. Do
not take any Putnam material outside the room. Return all envelopes
and extra materials to the proctor. Hand in your envelope even if it is
- If you are a woman and would like to be considered for the
Elizabeth Lowell Putnam Prize, then check the box on the lower right
corner of Session B envelope.