Integer Sequences (Math 19, Fall 2019)
Instructor: Igor Pak
email@example.com (add .edu at the end, see more on the bottom of this page)
Class schedule: Thu 10:00 - 10:50 pm, MS 6221
Office Hours: Thu 11-11:50, MS 6125
CCLE site: here. (includes class description and reading)
- Week 1: The story of OEIS (see also Wikipedia article). Reading:
- NJA Sloane's article, Sections 1-6 (first 5 pages).
- J. Borwein and K. Devlin book, Chapter 1 (pages 7-24)
- Week 2: Inverse Symbolic Calculator. Fibonacci numbers (OEIS A45, Wikipedia). Reading:
- J. Borwein and K. Devlin book, pages 40-45, 132-135.
- A. Posamentier and I. Lehmann, "The fabulous Fibonacci numbers", pages 17-20, 25-32.
(download Chapter 1 from CCLE website, Week 2).
- Week 3: Catalan numbers (OEIS A108, Wikipedia). Reading:
- Week 4: No reading.
- Week 5: Partition numbers (OEIS A41, Wikipedia). Reading:
- Week 6: No new reading.
- Week 7: Somos sequence (OEIS A6720, Wikipedia). Reading:
- Week 8: Lozenge tilings of a hexagon and solid partitions (OEIS A8793,
OEIS A5130, Wikipedia articles on plane
partitions and on ASMs).
- F. Ardila and R. Stanley, Tilings, pp. 32-36 (middle of right column),
and bottom of 39, left 40.
- D. Keating and A. Sridhar, Random tilings with the GPU, Sections I, II and V.
This is a P/NP seminar. The grading is based on attendance and participation.
to return to Igor Pak Home Page.
To e-mail me, click
here and delete .zzz
Then follow the rules below:
Put Math 19 in the Subject line and nothing else.
Your email should have the first line "Dear Professor Pak," nothing else, no alterations.
Your email should come from your official ucla.edu email address (for privacy purposes).
Last updated 11/29/2019.