Math 134, Linear and Nonlinear Systems of Differential Equations
This is the webpage for Math 134, Winter 2018.
- Instructor : Chenchen Mou
- Discussion sessions :
Tuesday 09:00 - 09:50 MS 5127
- Teaching Assistant : Gyu Eun Lee
- E-mail : gyueun [dot] lee [at] math [dot] ucla [dot] edu
- Office : MS 3949
- Office hours : Thursday 10:00 - 12:00 MS 3949 and by appointment
- Course CCLE.
- Important!The textbook for this class includes typos. Fortunately, they are documented in this page of errata. Please reference this page as you read the textbook and complete your homework. It is your responsibility to make sure you are answering the correct version of the exercises on your homework.
- Homework is due by the end of discussion each Tuesday, starting week 2. No late homework is accepted barring some extraordinary circumstances. If you know ahead of time that you cannot make it to discussion, contact me and we will work something out.
- Homework assignments will be graded and returned the Tuesday following submission. If you miss a discussion, you can pick up your homework during office hours. On some weeks you may also be able to follow me to my office immediately after discussion for homework pickup.
- Each homework assignment is graded out of 10 points. Five problems will be graded from each homework assignment, each out of 2 points.
- All homework submissions must include your full name. Handwritten homework must be written using a blue or black pen or a pencil. Multiple pages must be bound with a staple or paperclip. Failure to abide by these carries a penalty of 1 point.
- Homework should be legible. I reserve the right to mark down any answer I cannot read.
- Scanned images of homework, or a .pdf of typeset homework, are only acceptable as a temporary measure to demonstrate completion if you cannot attend discussion, and is subject to the same deadlines. I still expect a physical copy to be delivered as soon as possible.
- The homework for this course will often involve drawing diagrams. While I am not looking for artistic ability, in order to merit a full score on problems involving drawing, you should take care to identify the basic features the drawing should contain, and clearly identify such features (with labels if necessary) in your submission.
- I intend for discussion to be problem and example oriented. In light of this, it will be a great help if you would bring your textbook to class, as I will draw problems and examples primarily from the textbook.
- I am open to requests for extra office hours. If you wish to arrange extra office hours, please contact me at least 24 hours in advance to work out a time. (I will not be receptive to such requests on very short notice.) Any office hours arranged individually will be announced and extended to the entire class.
- (2018.02.05)Lecture notes for discussion 5 are posted. (The notes for week 3 count for discussion 4.)
- (2018.01.23)Lecture notes for discussions 1-3 are posted.
- (2018.01.22)I have added a link to a page of errata for the textbook.
- (2018.01.15) Due to Professor Mou's travel plans, discussion this week will be replaced by a lecture. We will have two discussions next week, one on Monday and the other on Tuesday. Homework is due on Tuesday as usual.
- (2018.01.09) For this week only, office hours will be Wednesday 10:00 - 12:00.
- (2018.01.08) Discussion will meet during the first week of instruction. Please be sure to attend. We will establish working procedures and office hours for the course.