Mathematics 131A Lecture 2
MS5147 MWF 11-11:50
You should check this page at least
once a week
for changes, corrections, and announcements!
READ AND UNDERSTAND THE NOTES!!!
- Office Location: MS 6931
- Office Hours: Friday 3-4
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Extra office hour: Tuesday 12/13 9-10AM
- Review Session for Final: Tuesday, 12/13 8-9AM MS 5127
- practice final: 131finex.pdf
- Answers to First Exam 131aF05hrexam1ans.pdf
- Practice exam for second hour exam: 131aF05prac2.pdf
- One question on the second hour exam will be taken from the first
- Special office hours Wednesday Nov. 16 at 5PM.
- Since I didn't get to uniform continuity, assignment 3a will be due
- The former assignment 3 will be called assignment 3a. IT IS DUE
ON MONDAY NOVEMBER 7. Skip repeated problem.
- ASSIGNMENT 3 HAS BEEN CHANGED TO REDOING THE HOUR EXAM! A COPY HAS
BEEN SENT TO YOU BY EMAIL: IF IT DOESN'T ARRIVE SEND ME AN EMAIL. It is
due on Friday.
- Classes begin on Thursday September 27.
- Practice hour exam (#1) 131aF05prac1.pdf
- Exam dates Wednesday, October 26
(Covers assignments 1,2),
November 18 (covers Assignments 3 and 3a: you should know material on
items 4,5,6,7 below),
Final: Wednesday Dec 14 8-11AM
- There will be no make-up exams. If you have an excused absence,
your grade will be based on the other hour exam and the final.
- Homework grading policy: your lowest assignment score
- Late assignments will not be accepted.
- You are responsible for the material in the notes, homework
assignments, as well as the corresponding portion in the text. Our
more understandable approach to the completeness axiom and the
will be somewhat different than that in the text: you are responsible for our approach as
given in the supplemental notes below (see items 3,5, and 6 below) and
the lectures. After that we will stick very closely to the
treatment in the book.
Supplemental notes and assignments
- Assignment 1 Monday, October 10
- Assignment 2 Friday, October
21 Read handouts 1-3a.
- Assignment 3a Wednesday, November 9
- Assignment 5 Wednesday,
- Assignment 6 Wednesday December 7
- Assignment 7 Friday December 9
- Purpose of course, how grades are computed, studying suggestions
- Conventions of mathematical logic and absolute values("handout
- Properties of the positive integers including induction and Assignment
- Some uncountable sets("handout 3a"): 131aF05n3a.pdf
- Completeness and Assignment 3a("handout 4"):131aF05n4.pdf
- Remarks on convergence, continuity Note: skip "Assignment 4" -
the material was covered in previous and following assignments("handout
- Completeness and the Balzano-Weierstrass theorem("handout6"): 131aF05n6.pdf
- Assignment 5
- p. 94: 1,2,3,4,7,8
- p. 127 1, 2, 4
133 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11
- Assignment 6
- p. 133 (Fundamental Theorem of Calculus): 12, 13
168 1, 5
- p. 173 2, 3
- p. 181 (norms) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Assignment 7
- p. 202 (metric spaces): 1, 3, 7, 8, 9 [correction:
exist infinitely many n such that..."], 10
- p. 208 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
Math & PIC
PIC Lab |