UCLA Social Enterprise Academy 2018 - Econ 173A/173B
The application deadline is midnight November 22. Students applying for the Academy are committing to attend every Tuesday evening from 6:15 pm to 9:30 pm in Winter and Spring Quarter 2018.
The UCLA Social Enterprise Academy (SEA) is a two-quarter experiential learning course. Over Winter and Spring quarters, students work directly with nonprofit organizations to develop earned income opportunities for the organization. Four students are assigned to each nonprofit. Students will work closely with the leadership of one organization as consultants to develop the best enterprise idea, conduct market research, create a business plan, and pitch the venture to compete for cash and pro bono prizes.
The official course number is Economics 173A/173B: Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship (Winter and Spring 2018). This course counts as two Economics Electives towards the majors in Economics and Business Economics and can be counted toward the Minor in Entrepreneurship (consult with the counselor for the Minor). It is open to students in all majors.
- Your role in this course has a direct impact on local nonprofit organizations including supporting their efforts to:
- Create a business plan for their organization to launch a new and sustainable social venture
- Gain expert training from faculty and potential investors
- Receive volunteer support to research, develop and launch new social ventures
- Participate in a venture showcase to earn up to $30,000 to launch their venture
Benefits for YOU:
- Gain consulting, teamwork, networking, public speaking skills, and nonprofit experience
- Directly apply content knowledge to build a revenue generating business plan
- Receive expert training from UCLA faculty, alumni and business leaders with experience in the social entrepreneurship
- Develop skills and experience in the venture initiation and pitching process including “pitching” a plan to potential investors at the UCLA Social Enterprise Venture Showcase
Application Requirements and Process:
Enrollment in Econ 173A/173B is by application only. The Social Enterprise Academy is a six-month program. This means that students enrolled in this course must enroll in both courses in the two-quarter sequence.
Eligibility: This program is open to current UCLA juniors and seniors from all majors.
You must be able to attend class sessions every week Tuesdays, 6:15 pm to 9:30 pm in both Winter and Spring Quarters. That means that if you enroll in this course, you are committing to re-arrange your other commitments to leave Tuesday evenings free. Do not attempt to enroll in this course if you cannot make this commitment.
You also must commit to enroll in both Winter and Spring Quarters. If you drop the course or do not enroll in Econ 173B, you will not receive any units of credit for Econ 173A or Econ 173B.