first class will be on Wednesday, April 2 (I will be in
will be no class on Monday, April 7 (I will be in
will be no class on Monday, May 5 (I will be in
class will be on Friday, June 6 (I will be in
· Instructor: Terence Tao, firstname.lastname@example.org, x64844, MS 6183
· Lecture: MWF 4-4:50, MS5137
· Quiz section: None
· Office Hours: M 2-3
· Textbook: I will use a number of sources, including Morgan-Tian’s “Ricci flow and the Poincaré conjecture”, Chow-Knopf’s “Ricci flow: an introduction”, Kleiner-Lott’s “Notes on Perelman’s papers”, and various papers, including of course Perelman’s. I will post lecture notes on my blog site.
· Prerequisite: The Math 234 class (Ricci flow) from last winter is highly recommended. I will put some basic foundational material on PDE and Riemannian geometry in my lecture notes, but if you are not familiar already with Ricci flow, I would expect that one would need a significant amount of self-study in these topics in order to keep up with the course.
· Grading: Grading is based on attendance.
· Homework: There is no homework for this course.
· The original papers of Perelman:
· Kleiner-Lott’s “Notes on Perelman’s papers”.
· Morgan-Tian’s book “Ricci flow and the Poincaré conjecture”.