Andrea L. Bertozzi - News Articles from Research Group
In December 2012 I received a named Chair position at UCLA.
Here is a link to the press release.
- SIAM News Article, Swarming by Nature and by Design , Nov. 2009
Mathematics of Crime
- US News and World Reports March 2, 2010.
- Popular Mechanics, Feb. 2010, The Math-ed Avengers: Can Sophisticated Models Fight Crime?
- Science News, Feb. 20, 2010, Finding Coolable Hot Spots for Crime
- Science, Feb. 20, 2010, The Mathematics of Clumpy Crime
- UCLA Newsroom: Can math and science help solve crimes?, Feb 20, 2010
- Fighting Crime with Math, National Science Foundation video and press release Feb 20, 2010
- Science (blog) Gangs and Statistical Mechanics?, Feb 20, 2010
- Fighting Crime with Math, Scientific American 60 Second Podcast, Feb 20, 2010
- Mit Mathematik Verbrechen bekampfen, Zeit Online, (German Newspaper) Feb 22, 2010
- Mit math gegen Kriminalitat, Deutschlandradio, Feb 22, 2010
- Crime Hot Spots Can Be Cooled, Discovery News, by Lisa Grossman (Science News), Feb. 23, 2010
- Los Angeles to Test Simulation Model That Predicts Criminals' Reactions to Increased Policing, Elaine Pittman, Government Technology July 23, 2010
Stopping crime before it starts
Los Angeles Times, Aug. 21, 2010, by Joel Rubin.
UCLA research project uses math to predict possible crime by Sarah Kahn, Daily Bruin, Univ California, Los Angeles, August 30, 2010.
- The aftershocks of crime The Economist, Oct. 23, 2010, p. 98, article about George Mohler's work (done at UCLA) on point process models for repeat victimization.
- Predictive Policing Fox News Video, Oct. 3, 2010, Interview with LAPD and Jeff Brantingham.
- The New York Times Magazine 10th Annual Year in Ideas December 19, 2010, "Aftercrimes" about former postdoc George Mohler's work using self-exciting point process models.
- Discover Magazine Top 100 Stories of 2010 #60: Fighting Crime with Mathematics December 16, 2010, by Daniel Lametti - about our SIADS and PNAS papers on crime hotspots
- Sending the Police Before There's a Crime August 15, 2011, The New York Times, by Erica Goode - about the UCLA crime group algorithm for predictive policing
- Crime Fighting Math August 15, 2011, NBC Bay Area, - interview with George Mohler about his algorithm and with Santa Cruz PD about the implementation
- Police Predict Crimes as in 'Minority Report' August 18, 2011, ABC World News with Diane Sawyer, - about the use of the UCLA crime group algorithm for predictive policing
Fighting violent gang crime with math UCLA Newsroom, October 28, 2011-about our new paper in Inverse Problems
Computer program could point police to gang-crime suspects Joel Rubin, Los Angeles Times, October 31, 2011
Matematicás en la lucha antipandillas
Isaias Alvarado, La Opinión, Nov. 1, 2011
Fighting Violent Gang Crime with Math ScienceDaily, Oct. 31, 2011
Crime algorithms target gangs of LA Melissae Fellet, New Scientist, Nov. 3, 2011
UCLA Department of Mathematics teams up with LAPD to combat gang crime Jake Greenberg, UCLA Daily Bruin, Nov. 3, 2011
UCLA's Crime Fighting Mathematicians
Freakonomics, Nov. 9, 2011
- At LAPD, Predicting Crimes Before They Happen by Carrie Kahn, National Public Radio Weekend Edition, Nov. 26, 2011 - about the November 2011 predictive policing experiment with LAPD
Mathematical Patterns May Help Forecast Future Crimes, Inside Science TV Video , March 12, 2012
Predictive Policing, SIAM News March 2012
Policing the Future by Samuel Greengard, ACM Magazine, March 2012, pp. 19-21.
Forecasting Crime Podcast interview
of Andrea Bertozzi by Mike Breen of the American Mathematical Society, 2012.
Math helps detect gang-related crome and better allocate police resource Feb. 14, 2013, SIAM nugget about our paper published
in SIAM J. Applied Math. 2013 - about
community detection on sparse geosocial data.
Science Behind the News: Predictive Policing February 22, 2013,
NBC Learn video featuring Bertozzi and P Jeffrey Brantingham.
Crunching numbers to catch bad buys Mariam Ibrahim, Edmonton Journal, May 11, 2013
Gendarmes, voleurs et ....mathematiciens!
Blog Fracais de l'initiative international Mathematiques de la planete Terre, Breve redigee par Thierry Goudon, Sept 24, 2013.
Un policía nacional obtiene una beca Fulbright para investigar modelos matemático-policiales predictivos de riesgo criminal en la UCLA
about Miguel Camacho (from the Spanish National Police) and his Fullbright Award to work with our team at UCLA on predictive policing, January 8, 2014.
Researchers Will Study Police Confrontations Via Body Cameras MIT Technology Review December 11, 2014
Can Maths Combat Terrorism? 30 minute BBC Radio 4 broadcast December 17, 2014 (my part starts around 17:30 into the program).
Oil Spill Research
- Applied math lab joins scientists working on oil cleanup in the Gulf, by Cynthia Lee, UCLA Today July 22, 2010
- AMS Hosts Congressional Briefing, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, January 2011
Math Modelers Dive in the Gulf Oil Spill, by Barry Cipra, SIAM News, Jan/Feb 2012.
ICIAM 2011: Theory, Modeling, and Experiments Shed Light on Oil-Sand Mixtures SIAM News Feb. 5, 2012, Andrea Bertozzi.
Women in Mathematics
- Women Doing Mathematics, American Mathematical Society Poster, 2010
- Applied Math: A Tale of Robots, Burglaries, and Rapunzel's Hair,
UCLA Graduate Quarterly Spring 2009
UCLA * Department of Mathematics *