A third-year PhD student at the economics department is looking for some aspiring undergraduate students to work as research assistants. This would be a good opportunity for any student who would like to get some firsthand research experience in economics.
Here are the basic summary about the research project and key credentials looked for in potential RAs:
(1) The project is intended to analyze how the adoption of refrigeration changes the perishable food industry in the US since the late 19th century.
- How does refrigeration change the spatial distribution of agriculture
- How did the geographical reallocation of food industry influence the overall productivity
- What is the welfare gains of the cold chain
For the analysis, I need to construct a dataset using historical publications from federal agencies. In particular, I am looking to digitize historical retail price surveys by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, cold storage surveys by Department of Agriculture, and various congressional hearing reports and studies by FTC and DOJ.
(2) Expectations and requirement
- Available to allot at least 4-5 hours per week on a regular basis
- Detail-oriented, organized
- Basic knowledge of Excel (knowledge of R or Stata preferred, not required)
If interested please contact Jingyi Huang at firstname.lastname@example.org.